Attendees from Germany, Netherlands, France, UK, South Korea, Spain, Italy, USA, Ireland, Greece, Austria, Switzerland agree to the following
- The EU/US/NATO plays a key role in the creation of unequal economic conditions, wars and armed conflicts, and environment destruction that cause people to flee from their homes, seeking safety and sanctuary in Europe;
- Increasing levels of military spending are contributing to these conditions;
- Security and defence interests focusing on the security of states, power elites, and cooperate interests comes at the expense of individuals’ personal security;
- Over 30 000 people are estimated to have lost their lives attempting to find sanctuary in Europe over the last 25 years and countless thousands, possibly millions, have died in their own countries;
- The EU has put measures in place for open borders for weapons and soldiers, but not for people.
- The militarization of EU border security that serves the interests of the military and security industry and endangers the lives of people seeking sanctuary in Europe;
- The aims and actions of Frontex, the European Border and Coast Guard Agency, tasked with border control of the Schengen Area, in coordination with national border and coast guard bodies;
- All migrant detention and long-term processing centres inside and outside Europe’s borders.
And we call on the EU to:
- Ensure safe and legal crossing of sea and land borders around and within Europe, thereby opening the borders for people fleeing from conflict and famine;
- Reduce military spending and invest in fair, just and equitable conditions for development and trade;
- End the sale and export of arms and weapons’ components.
Stop the wars and not the refugees!